ABOUT THE SAF
Today we live in an increasingly interconnected world – one full of movement and mixture, contact, connectivity, economic exchange and cultural interaction. This is the world of globalization. The mobility and interconnection we see today are of a new magnitude and intensity, largely owing to the advent of modern technology in transportation and communication. However, globalization as a social and cultural process is not a wholly new phenomenon. Many ancient regional systems in both the Old and New Worlds also exhibited similar processes of “globalization,” albeit on a smaller spatial scale and lesser intensity. The formation of the modern global social system is historically contingent upon the connectivity in antiquity. Cross-regional cultural interactions, economic exchanges and political conquests lead to the long-distance transfer of resources, technology and culture, and the ever-changing cultural diversity in both the ancient and modern worlds.
今天我们生活在一个联系日趋紧密的世界里——充满着律动、交融、联系、连通、经济交流与文化互动。这是一个全球化的时代。由于现代通讯技术和交通的 发展，当今世界地区间的沟通和人群迁徙往来之规模和幅度前所未有。但是，作为一种社会和文化过程，全球化并非新生事物。不管是在“旧世界”还是“新世 界”，许多古代的区域体系也上演过类似的“全球化”过程，只是规模和幅度相对比较小而已。当代全球社会体系的形成正是根基于历史上地区间的相互联系。跨区 域文化互动、经济往来和征服带来的是远距离的资源贸易、技术和文化的互动和传播，造就了古往今来亘古维新的文化多样性。
In this unprecedented era of globalization coupled with the greatest migration and urbanization in human history, studies of culture contact and cultural diversity has become increasingly important in many disciplines such as anthropology, sociology, history, linguistics, geography, human genetics, and political science. The close relationship between past and present makes archaeology particularly significant today although some scholars have argued that the Enlightenment and the advent of modernity marked a thorough discontinuity between the modern and ancient worlds. The archaeology of culture contact can bring a unique and fruitful perspective to bear on many pressing global problems we are facing today, particularly the long-term processes and consequences of culture contact, and the urgent need of protecting cultural diversity and heritage, tangible and intangible, for our common future.
伴随着这场史无前例 的全球化时代到来的，是人类历史上最大规模的人口迁徙和城市化，文化交流及其多样性的研究在诸如人类学、社会学、历史学、语言 学、地理学、人类遗传学和政治学等学科中的重要性日益凸显。虽然有学者认为启蒙运动与现代化的出现标志着现代与古代世界的彻底决裂，但是过去与现在之间的 紧密联系使考古学在今天显得尤为重要。文化交流的考古学研究，能提供独特与多元的视角，为我们所面临的诸多紧迫的全球化问题提出观照与借鉴，尤其有助于了 解文化交流的长期过程和结果，认识保护文化多样性与物质、非物质文化遗产的紧迫性，以共创美好未来。
The theme of cultural diversity has been a major focus of UNESCO activities since the 1990s, with a strong conviction that respect for various forms and expressions of human biological and cultural diversity is fundamentally crucial to human development and world peace. Now the UNESCO celebrates the 10th anniversary of its “Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions” adopted in 2005 and ratified by over 120 countries. The primary theme for the Second Shanghai Archaeology Forum is the archaeology of culture contact and cultural diversity, a timely subject that archaeologists across the world should consider for many years to come.
二十世纪九十年代以来，文化多样性是联合国教科文组织活动的主要内容，坚信对不同人群、族群和文化多样性的基本尊重是人类发展和世界和平的基础。今 年是联合国教科文组织通过《保护和促进文化表达多样性公约》十周年，自2005年至今，已有超过120个国家签署加入了该公约。本届世界考古论坛的主题是 “文化交流与文化多样性的考古学探索”，正是世界各国考古学家应该特别关注的议题。
THE FORUM’S OBJECTIVES 本届论坛目标
- To celebrate the excellence of archaeological research by presenting the SAF Awards to those individuals and organizations that have achieved distinction by making major discoveries and producing innovative, creative, and rigorous works in the past three years;
- To assess current theoretical perspectives (such as theories of ethnogenesis, transculturation, world systems, political economy, hybridization, materiality, et al.) and research methods employed in the archaeological study of culture contact and cultural pluralism through the presentation of keynote speeches and intensive discussion;
- To present case studies illustrating such key issues as diverse forms of social and cultural interaction, spatial variability and diachronic variation in colonial practices, the formation and transformation of cultural and social identities, the complexities and ambiguities of cultural identities and power relations, the active roles of indigenous agency, practice and ideology in structuring colonial interaction, cultural persistence and the importance of historical contingency and local context; and
- Through the Public Archaeology Lecture Series, to boost public awareness and appreciation of the significance of ever-increasing archaeological finds, to highlight the potential contribution of their scholarly study to comparative analyses of culture contact, cultural continuity and transformation, and to underscore their relevance and significance to the 21st-century world we inhabit, especially the lessons we can learn for appreciating and safeguarding cultural diversity, fostering social plurality and protecting the vanishing heritage in our globalizing world.
- 通过个案研究，探讨下述关键问题：社会与文化互动的各种具体方式、殖民实践的时空变化、 文化与社会认同的形成与转变、文化认同与权力关系的复杂性和模糊性、原住民能动性所起的积极作用、影响殖民互动的具体实践与意识形态、文化传统的持续性， 以及历史依赖性与本地具体场景的重要性；